The information you provide will only be used to identify and contact you in the event your photograph is selected as a winner. By submitting a photo to this contest, you agree to allow the Portland Alpine Fest/Mazamas/ProPhoto Supply to use said photo online or in print for the promotion of this photo contest in the future with credit given to you as the photographer. (you may opt out of this clause on the submission form).
Portland Alpine Fest Photo Contest Contest Details:
Portland Alpine Fest (PAF) and Photo of the Year (POTY) have joined forces to bring you one great photo contest! POTY has an 11-year history of supporting Outdoor School and the folks at PAF are also huge supporters of this program. What better way to support Outdoor School than to combine our efforts? Our three categories offer something for all the amateur photographers out there.* Take a trip back through your last year in photos, and send the best of the best our way!
Photo submissions will be accepted Sept. 25 through midnight on Oct. 25.
The top 24 photographs will be printed and exhibited at Base Camp Brewing. Public voting will take place from Nov. 13–Nov. 17; photos will remain at Base Camp Brewing through the end of 2017. Winners will be announced at The Summit at Revolution Hall on Nov. 18. The winners' photos will be published in the December Mazama magazine.
Winning photos will be printed and displayed at 18x18 inches in size. All semi-finalists will be notified by email.
Judging: All PAF Photo of the Year Contest submissions received will be reviewed by a panel of judges selected by the Portland Alpine Fest. The judges' selection process will result in the top 24 semi-finalists. The 24 semi-finalists photos will then be exhibited at Base Camp Brewing., at which time voting will take place by customers of Base Camp and online. Base Camp customer voting along with social media voting will decide the Audience Award. The judges will pick the remaining winners.
PAF Photo of the Year Contest Categories:
- Action & Adventure: Share your significant moments of action and adventure in the outdoors from the past year. Ice climbing, rock climbing, mountaineering, ski mountaineering, mountain running, and so much more! Show us your most powerful images of action and adventure!
- The Scenic Outdoors: The splendor of our outdoor world is limitless—the night sky, gently cascading waterfalls, stunning rivers—we want to see your best shots!
- Friends of Outdoor School: Plants, animals, soil, water... friends, mentors, science, wonder... Experiences at Outdoor School can inspire a lifetime of finding fulfillment in the outdoors. Entries into this category show images inspired by what Outdoor School means to you!
- Audience Favorite: Customers at Base Camp may vote for their favorite photograph for the audience award, from Nov. 14–19, along with voters on social media. The voting will conclude on Nov. 18. Customers will get the opportunity to vote once per day after a purchase at Base Camp.
PAF Photo of the Year Contest Prizes: 5 prizes will be awarded.
- Audience Favorite: $100 gift card to Pro Photo Supply
- Best Action & Adventure Photo: $250 gift card to Pro Photo Supply
- Best Scenice Outdoors Photo: $250 gift card to Pro Photo Supply
- Best Friends of Outdoor School Photo: $250 gift card to Pro Photo Supply
- Grand Prize! The best of ALL of the photos: $250 gift card to Pro Photo Supply and an Olympus Tough TG-Tracker (valued at $350)
PAF Photo of the Year Contest Rules and Regulations: Portland Alpine Fest reserves the right to disqualify any photo that does not comply with these rules and regulations:
- All photographs must be submitted via the Photo Contest Google Form.
- Photos should be a minimum of 1MB in size and no larger than 5MB in size.
- Photos will be printed as squares. Any photos not already square will have to be cropped by entrant when high res image is provided. Votes at Base Camp will be based on square image exhibited but judges will base other awards on original photo submitted.
- For all categories minor digital enhancement for cropping, red-eye removal, filters, and corrective functions are permitted. Images that have been judged to be significantly altered (including but not limited to HDR technology, selective color change, removal of unwanted elements, etc.) will be disqualified. Images MUST maintain the integrity of the scene as it was photographed. The panel of judges shall determine if any photos do not align with the spirit of the contest, and reserve the right to disqualify them.
- Opt-in: Entrants grant Portland Alpine Fest/Mazamas, Friends of Outdoor School, and Pro Photo Supply permission to use their photos in any publication, marketing, or fundraising materials for the future promotion of PAF Photo of the YEAR. All recognizable persons in photographs must grant permission for their likeness to be used prior to submission. Photographers will retain original copyrights to their photos, and photo credits will be used with the photo. By submitting your photo(s), you agree to these terms. (ex. contest winners will have their photo published in the Mazama print and online magazine and the Friends of Outdoor School Wood Cookie print and online newsletter)
- Opt-out: If you Opt-Out of the Promotional Usage of your photo, it will not be used for future promotional purposes. However, if you are a WINNER it will be used in our print and online magazine when we announce the winners. (ex. contest winners will have their photo published in the Mazama print and online magazine and the Friends of Outdoor School Wood Cookie print and online newsletter).
- All decisions of the judging panel and online voting will be confirmed by the Portland Alpine Fest/Mazamas and Friends of Outdoor School and are considered final.
- Names and contact information of contest entrants may be shared with contest sponsor Pro Photo Supply.
- All recognizable persons in the photographs must grant permission for their likeness to be used prior to submission.
- Photographers will retain original copyrights to their photos.
- By submitting your photos, you agree to these terms.
*This contest is intended for amateur photographers. If you make a significant portion of your income via your photography, you would be considered a professional photographer, and thereby ineligible. Please adhere to these rules.